We love appetizers as a dinner option especially since I have 3 kids. They love trying new foods but do not get me started on egg rolls. It makes dinner much easier and sometimes fun too! Thanks to JSL Foods for sending me egg roll wrappers to create this Fiesta Egg Rolls!
Continental and Fusion Foods
One of the important things for me when it comes to raising my kids is making sure that they have a developed palate. I definitely knew I did not want to have picky eaters so I made sure that early on, as toddlers, they would experience all kinds of cuisines. As a Latina, everyone immediately assumes that I make Mexican and Chilean food all the time, but it is not how I grew up. My mother cooked and created dishes that incorporated different cuisines. I know some chefs do not like the term “fusion foods,” but it is what makes sense to me.
My mother’s Asian food might have a certain twist, and her Mexican food would be her own version with her flair. That is how I have started cooking as well. I love traditional international cooking, but sometimes the way my brain works, I go outside the box and fuse different cuisines.
Egg rolls are probably one of my girls’ favorite appetizers when we go to an Asian restaurant. We usually do not order enough and well, we end up making a dinner out of it. It is easy though because we can feed our kids between egg rolls and spring rolls. HA!
When I was given the opportunity to create my own, I decided to make a fun version of my own. I do not usually make a lot of fried foods but I opted to go authentic on the way egg rolls are usually prepared. I had my 5 year-old help with the preparation and the results ended up being very positive!
Black Bean Egg Rolls with Smoked Tomatillo Salsa
This is a quick and delicious recipe that can be made basically with pantry items. What can you do with a can of black beans? Many things, but this egg roll recipe will make everyone in your household pretty happy.
My husband smoked 6 tomatillos while he was making other dishes so that I could have my tomatillo salsa to make this dish complete. If you love smoking, this can really add additional dimensions to your salsa!
My kids loved this recipe and enjoyed it after playing the in the snow for 2 hours!
Fiesta Egg Rolls with Smoked Tomatillo Salsa
- Cast iron skillet
- Baking sheet
- Smoker for tomatoes
For Egg Rolls
- 1 pkg Twin Dragon Egg Roll Wrappers divided
- 1 15.5 oz canned black beans drained
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup jalapeno deseeded and chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup zucchini diced
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup vegetable oil for frying
Smoked Tomatillo Salsa
- 6 tomatillos husked and washed
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ lime juiced
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 whole jalapeno
- ½ onion
For Tomatillo Salsa
- Place 6 unhusked tomatillos on a pan into a smoker filled with cherry and hickory wood and smoke for an hour. If you do not have a smoker, Roast tomatillos in oven on broil for 10 minutes.
- Place smoked tomatillos into a blender and add the rest of the ingredients and blend.
For Egg Rolls
- In a bowl, add the black beans, chopped veggies, spices and cheese and mix well.Add ¼ cup oil to cast iron and heat on low.
- Unwrap egg rolls and remove one wrap and place on a cutting board. Add 2 Tbsp. of filling in the middle and wrap according to packaged directions.
- Place each completed egg roll on a baking sheet until you have about 16 egg rolls. Increase heat on cast iron to medium heat.
- Add 3 egg rolls to the pan and fry for 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Remove and place back on the baking sheet. Meanwhile, turn oven on to 425F.
- Once egg rolls have all been fried, Place baking sheet into oven and bake for 5 minutes until perfectly crispy.
- Serve with tomatillo salsa and a side of shredded lettuce.
Where to find!
You can purchase Twin Dragon Wrappers at Walmart, Albertsons, Shaw’s, Von’s, Stater Bros, Fred Meyer, QFC, Safeway, Associated Stores, Giant Stores, Shop N Shop, Winco, and Price Chopper! If they are not in your local store, ask them to carry Twin Dragon Wrapper products!
Follow Twin Dragon for more inspiration:
- Website: http://www.jslfoods.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JSLFoods/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JSL_Foods
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jslfoods/