There is always a need for lovely sides that make an ideal cheese board. When I was looking to pair a sharp cheddar, I read that a great tomato relish made for a delicious pairing along with some roast beef. Steviva helped me make this relish sugar free and with no guilt.
I love eating my tomatoes fresh but amazingly enough when you mix in a few ingredients wonderful things can happen. When I had a cheese-tasting party a few weekends ago, I was sent some 4-aged sharp cheddar. A few simple crackers just would not do the trick in enjoying such a lovely cheese.
When I was reading about what a relish is all about, I was looking forward making my own. A little sweet, sour and spicy is what I decided I wanted to go for.
If you do not know much about Steviva, they are a great company that strive and have succeeded making products ideal for those leading low-carb, keto, diabetic lifestyles. One of the products I have been using is Steviva Blend which is a blend of erythritol and stevia.
It is easy to use but it is sweeter so you only need to use half the portion you would in a normal recipe.
Sugar Free Tomato Relish
This is a quick recipe that is ready in 30 minutes. It is delicious with a sharp cheddar, crackers, and roast beef. It was a sure winner at our cheese-pairing party. This is ideal for the holiday season and your future cheeseboard.
by Noelle Kelly
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (makes 1 cup)
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 3 shallots, diced ( about 1/3 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup Steviva Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons pickles, chopped
- Bring all ingredients, except pickles, to a quick boil and then reduce heat on medium low and simmer for 30 minutes or when most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and allow to cool in a Mason ball jar.
- Once cooled, add pickles at the end, and mix well. May be used immediately at room temperature or can be stored in fridge. Good for 6 months.
Learn more about Steviva